Saturday 7 April 2012

Final Animation Evaluation

My animation for this module is now finished and has a running time of 1 minute 30 seconds. Various animation techniques have been used to achieve the effects. The secondary character, the Seagull, was a basic model built with the box modelling technique. After being given a materials, a bone structure was built to fit inside the model. This allowed me to use keyframing to move different parts of the character through rotation, particularly the beak, neck and tail feathers. With this, I could make the character squawk and twitch in the background while the main character animated in the foreground.

The antagonist of the piece, Crabs, was built out of multiple pieces. By having different objects making up the body and limbs, it allowed better attachment to the rig. The crab CAT object was used as the rig and the different objects that make up the character were controlled by selecting each element and applying weight.
The eyes were moved using a look-at constraint. Using my research shown earlier in this blog, an important thing I learnt was to have the characters constantly focus on anything whether it was on or off screen. I feel that I achieved this in the final animation. Crabs also made use of the morpher modifier with the 9 base expressions I found in my research. I think that the different combinations these expressions provided made the main character have an emotive face that conveyed his intentions effectively.

If I had more time, I would have worked on blending scenes together more effectively. In the final piece, there are a lot of separate renderings used for relatively short scenes. I could have animated more action into longer renderings, but it was faster to do it this way. For example, when Crabs spots the bacon and the camera pulls back, a new scene plays after a cross-fade showing him holding the bait instead of him walking over and taking a hold of it.While this does allow for more camera angles to be used, it does break up the action a little more than I would prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment